Thursday 25 February 2010

Fresh Inspiration

Last week both Emma and myself had a bit of a rubbish time, both at home and at uni. I think it all got a bit much and as things came to a head it was apparent that events had clouded our ideas and development of this project. We had a (I don’t particularly want to use the word negative) lets say... unconstructive tutorial last week that dampened our spirits and it was a bit disheartening. We were brimming with our new ideas and eager to show the material that had been inspriring us, but (after waiting 3hours for our one-on-one tutorial) our mentor wasn’t as eager as us and we didn’t really receive much encouragement or even appraisal. No one wanted to see the videos that perfectly exhibited our ideas for the film and we weren’t given any feedback. I thought that maybe we would be given some directors, films or genres to go back and research but we weren’t given anything except an awkward 5minute collaboration of small talk and vibes of boredom (not from us may I add). Maybe I had the wrong idea about what would result from our tutorial but inevitably it made both Emma and myself feel that our ideas were shabby and, quite simply, crap.

I was at London fashion week this weekend but when I had the time I found myself brainstorming for new directions and ideas. I reflected on William Tempest's last collection and found that he essentially looked at three major references for his line. These were 1940's underwear advertising, the Crazy Horse Burlesque show and the girls in the James Bond films.



< Shirley Eaton as Jill Masterson in
James Bond, 'Goldfinger'    

















   < Tempest's choice of colour throughout his S/S 2010 
  collection is strongly influenced  and derived from 
  Halle Berry's infamous orange bikini in James Bond 
  'Die Another Day'













Both the horizontal and vertical
    lines used in the S/S 2010 dress are 
    almost copied from the pictures of
    the dancers at the Crazy Horse 
    Burlesque show who used light 
    effects to transform their costumes



< The prints seen at Tempest's 
S/S 2010 were strikingly similar
to the wild outfits worn at  the 
Crazy Horse Burlesque show. 
Tempest went for a more 
monochrome finish but the result
is still as striking
















These are all brilliant starting points for any film; and combined with our mood, RAW, and effect, FLASHING LIGHTS, they provoked ideas of a dancing girl, flashbacks, a terrible event- a narrative. It was a direction I was coming round to visualising but after seeing Tempest's A/W 2010 collection, I think its safe to say were sticking to our guns, our initial idea and taking it the whole way. It has given me a new confidence in our film and has reassured us in the sense that our ideas fit in with our designer’s work beautifully. The mood of the collection was sophisticated, tough, sleek and bursting with attitude; I can’t wait to start filming!!
I will post a new entry on Tempest’s new collection ASAP and analyse it in all its amazingness.


No comments:

Post a Comment