Sunday 21 February 2010

Hauntingly Beautiful






In September I visited the SHOWstudio exhibition in Somerset House that exhibited various collaborations in fashion and media. One of the installations that truly grabbed my attention was Gareth Pugh's 'FASH-OFF' which showed a series of films that documented the designer's perspectives on sensationalism, glamour and spectacle. The films were shown on screens that were set around a black cage with black balloons trapped inside. The music that played was haunting and creeped me out. Paired with the strange, alluring, yet dark and troublesome videos, an uncomfortable and sinister atmosphere was created. It really stuck out in both my partners and my own minds. Using this as a lead, my partner found a further video by Gareth Pugh and Ruth Hogben for SHOWstudio, showcasing his A/W 09 collection.  





This film is a perfect example of the direction that we intend to take with our project. The soundtrack is from Stanley Kubrick's 1980 film 'The Shining' and this particular reference is indicated in the haunting style and editing. I plan to research similar films and their soundtracks as I think this is a great place to start looking towards for music in our film. The concept is similar to our own; there is no particular narrative, just a clever and simple build up and accumulation of tension. Simple techniques such as mirrored images, slow motion, and the use of water and wind make this video fierce and very effective.
I have analyzed this video in depth in my sketchbook. Here are the scans of them:

No comments:

Post a Comment