Monday 15 March 2010

Presentation Reflection- No offense taken if you cant be fussed to read this partially essay style mumble

I thought it would be a good idea to reflect on Thursday and talk about comments, thoughts etc.
We went into the presentation feeling pretty confident.

We were proud of the rough trials we had done to illustrate our use of our prescribed effect and had made plenty of mood boards to illustrate our ideas.

The mock/trial clip was simply a demonstration of our interpretation and dealing of the effect that was given to us (flashing lights), and how we had incorporated it into our idea. The clip was majority in blackness due to the camera's slow re-loading, but the darkness was not the point of the clip. It was infact the visuals i.e.- the red hue and then the bright blue flash, that lit the model up that were the key focus and that were the frames that we wanted to use in our final spot. The presentation was projected up onto a white board in a naturally lit room, so the visual was not strong which made it horrendously hard to actually see what was happening on screen. I completely understand that but on the Mac it looked perfect, a classmate also picked up on this as she watched it off the monitor, rather than the projection board. The light did not work in our favour and we had comments that although true (too much black...no offense but yes that was the point we arnt using the black this is a TRIAL) they were not necessarily fair. I hate to be a moaner but we worked pretty hard using limited resources and whilst I thought the result was quite remarkable considering, our lecturers simply stated (as soon as the clip finished) ‘No. Not for me.’ Totally fair enough if you can follow a bold statement with constructive advice. But this was not done. Another favourite was ‘No one cares how hard it was…I don’t like it its not my thing’. Fab. Again- nothing to work with. There was no ’ok honestly I don’t like it but here’s what you can do to improve it/what you would be encouraged to do at a pitching…’

We made sure to really explain our concept and development but still it seemed that our tutors could not comprehend our work or even the simple fact that due to limited resources we had created an EXPERIMENT rather than a film. Dennis did try to lighten our spirits, pointing out that the presentation was good and if we worked as hard as we have, and even harder, we could nail it.
I don’t want to repeat what Emma has put onto her own blog but I find it truly infuriating and frustrating that we are paying so SO much money for no cameras, bad attitudes, lack of studio slots and generally not enough thorough tuition.

 James has been pretty darn good this term. I have really enjoyed his lectures they have been both technical and philosophical and personally, they have opened my mind a little. James always goes on about how we are useless and un-motivated but I buy fashion mags, I read blogs, I do work experience, I have dressed fashion shows- and yet at uni there is nothing to push us or heighten any kind of fashion excitement. Sorry to blog on (you have probably stopped reading this by now, I will not take offense) but I seriously have questioned my time spent here. On Thursday we were given opinions rather than advice. Not great for two fashion students who have never created/directed/produced film in any way shape or form. Hands up, I was so p*ssed off that I didnt go back to uni for the other presentations in the afternoon, which I understand was unfair on the other students (who actually got a worse battering than us) but I simply could not stay in that room after the rudeness and un-motivating comments that had proceeded. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment